made by Leelou made by Leelou made by Leelou

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras!

I popped into the grocery store yesterday to pick up some New Orleans flavor for Fat Tuesday, only to realize that the grocery stores around here do not sell King Cake?!?!? I didn't even realize that of COURSE, not being on the Gulf Coast this time of year, would mean no King Cake. A friend of mine did tell me about a bakery in town that sells them, so I can go that route next time. As for this Fat Tuesday, I made my own. A very SIMPLE version, that is. I like simple. I also bought a BOX of Jambalaya. I do NOT claim to be Martha Stewart. A box version will do.


The recipe I chose did not have any pictures, therefore I took some along the way to help anyone else out that wanted a visual. I appreciate visuals when in the kitchen.


King Cake with Cream Cheese

Ingredients:
2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon



Icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat Oven to 350. Spray your pan


Separate crescent rolls at perforations, into 16 triangles. Place slices around prepared pan with points in center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.


(the directions on the site confused me, but you can press together at either end. If you do the wider part then the ring is a little thinner, but a bigger ring.)




In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on dough in center where seams have been pressed together.




In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese. 




Fold dough points over filling. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 




Cool slightly, drizzle with Icing. Sprinkle!




You can also not do cream cheese if you want the most traditional King Cake. And if you do like working with yeast and are more hardcore in the kitchen, I thought this recipe looked fun. Im a sucker for a braided ring. 

1 comments:

Nicole said...

This looks AMAZING!!!!