Well I finally got around to trying out the whole homemade baby food thing. Im happy to say, it was SO easy, and WAY cheaper! I would recommend trying it to anyone who would want to save a couple bucks...or 40 bucks =)
So here is a breakdown of what I bought, did, tried, etc.
I went to Whole Foods and got a bunch of organic fruits and veggies. I figure if Im going to be making it and saving money anyways, I may as well buy organic. I wasnt buying Gerber's organic bc it was about 90 cents more, and times that by the amount of things I buy, and Id be spending like $12 more a month of the food, so I always just bought the plain ole stuff. I bought sweet potatoes, strawberries, carrots and bananas. For the hard fruits and veggies, like the potatoes and carrots, you just peel them, cut them up, and then boil them until they are nice and soft. Then I put them in the food processor ( I think you can use a blender too, but I had this already so it was perfect!) You can add a little water to make it as runny as you would like. Then I just put them in the little cubes or ice cube trays. If you are going to be using it in the next 2 days, you can put it in the fridge. For the bananas, you just cut it and put in the processor. No fuss for those. I washed some strawberries and threw them in too for some Strawberry Banana. It was seriously easy.
Ok, so I spent $7 my first trip to the grocery. I made enough food for 8 days. Normally, I would have spent $16, so I saved $9! IN the course of a month, I could save about $40.
I am going to go get some squash, blueberries, and whatever else looks good. I like to get enough to make for a whole week so I can just do it on Sundays and then Im set for the week. oh, and a friend gave me a website too if you want to check it out. www.wholesomebabyfood.com Im doing pretty plain and one or two ingredient stuff right now, but down the road, if she gets bored with what Im making, this site will help me mix it up a bit
Well, thats a wrap for my experiment that was a hit, and I will definitely continue doing this. Sorry for those of you who could care LESS about making baby food, but I had so many people asking me how I was doing it, so this way, you all know now =)

6 comments:
Wow Kennedy is a lucky girl her mommy making her home cooked meals way to go Jill, I am so proud of you,& no perservatives in mama's home cooked organic meals, your a good mommy!!!!
Oh wow Jill! That is awesome!! You are a Supermom that's for sure! And it sounds like you will save a pretty penny too. I will have to try this when Lyla starts to eat babyfood! =)
Wow, I'm impressed! You've inspired me to try this too! Where do you find the time?...I guess that's what good mommies do??!
Hey, my sister in law told me about a book I plan to use when Charleigh is eating more solid type foods...it's called Deceptively Delicious. It teaches you how to hide vegetables in foods like brownies, soups, chicken nuggets, etc....without the kid ever knowing! I think I need to do this for myself :)
I totally loved making Avery's baby food. Try butternut squash and pumpkin too. Those are chock full of vitamins. When we were out and about, I always kept an avocado and banana on me. Those two can just be cut and smashed and fed right on the go. As Kennedy gets older, don't smooth the foods as much and she will get used to the textures too.
I really like this post and I am glad to see someone who has done it. How is it going? Are you going to continue to do this? Any tips or ideas that you have learned since making this all? Great post! :) Thanks! Erin
Hopped over from Kelly's blog. Love the colors in your nursery! I made both of my kiddos baby food. I put it in ice cube trays and froze it and pulled it out as I needed it. I found it less work that way cause I just spent a couple hours doing enough for about a month. I put the fruits (apples, pears) in the oven and baked until soft and mashed. I also bought the steamable veggies in the microwave bags. I know they aren's fresh but almost as good since they are frozen and then steamed.EASY!! Your right it does save a LOT of money! I also recently found the perfect size small rectangle containers at the Dollar Tree. You get like 12 of them for $1.
Post a Comment